Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Soundscapes

I'm writing this today on my iPad because my Mac chose to self-destruct yesterday, and the nearest point of help is Mumbai -- and that's a weekend (i.e. Sunday because the work week is Monday through Saturday) task. As a touch typist, typing at any length on an iPad is frustrating!

To return to the topic, sounds are a prominent part of life in Vapi. I won't dwell on traffic noise -- the constant honking and engine noise -- from tuk-tuks to scooters to cars to trucks.

[Just an aside. Blogspot does not let me upload audio only, so I had to add a picture and make a movie.]

Laying in bed, the Muslim call to prayer starts about 10 minutes to 5 in the morning.

This minaret is near our bungalow (as the crow flies). It may or may not be the one in the audio clip.

 This gets drowned out by passing trains.

This is the Vapi train station. I'm pretty sure the audio is of a freight train, not a passenger train.

Louder still is the rain in a monsoon downpour.

About 5 AM, the birds start their morning calls. I have no idea what they are -- my Birds of India book is in our sea shipment, which should be here by the end of August.

Behind everything is the constant whirring of fans -- the climate is bearable if the air is moving.

One sound I do not hear is airplanes. Several times a day I hear what strikes me as a plane, but as it continues, I realize that it is a train -- as loud as a plane coming in for a landing. When I was growing up in Chicago, my neighborhood was under the flight path for O'Hare. The airport was 7 or 8 miles away, but the jets were so loud that school and conversation had to pause until the noise had diminished. The trains are just as loud.


No comments:

Post a Comment