Monday, August 19, 2013

Internet Woes

I'm going to have to stop posting until I get a more robust Internet connection. Our home "broadband" (about 3G speeds at best) is not working at all, so I'm running the network off a "data stick" that provides a cellular connection to my laptop. But that is a drip, rather than a garden hose -- measured in BITS per second, not BYTES per second, much less kbps. I think this is so slow because once I use 1 GB for the month (the first day pretty much), it reverts to 2G speed for the rest of the month. I'm really not patient enough for this!

I'm also learning just how much "junk" is on a web page. For example, Gmail's regular interface downloads about 5 MB of stuff (what? I have no idea) before anything shows up on the screen. Gmail's plain-vanilla interface loads very quickly. Everything has become a data-hog, and I'm doing my part!

Today and tomorrow are holidays in India. (Some say the holiday is today; some say it's tomorrow; why not take both days?) So it will be a few days before anything can get straightened out.

2 comments:

  1. A lot of organizations (especially news orgs) have a separate web site for mobile users; just replace the "www" with "m" to get there (e.g. m.mlb.com, m.cnn.com). They tend to have a lot less junk and load a lot faster.

    ReplyDelete