Friday, October 10, 2014

Vapi - Modern School

Tuesday, 16 September 2014

The nature of blogging puts this out-of-sequence, but at least you don't have to scroll back in the listings to see new material.

Early in our trip, we visited Modern School in Vapi. It's a school that was founded by wealthy industrialists in Vapi to serve the very poorest students. I have been trying to make a personal contribution there -- I'm not sure how successful that is, but I am trying!

Just yesterday I received photos from that event taken by Modern School photographers, so here goes:

We visited a Junior Kindergarten classroom. (Unfortunately, Mandi and Ross got cut out of the picture -- I guess the photographer couldn't back up far enough!)
Here we are entering the building to start the ceremonies.
You can't have a program in India without singing ...
… and dancing.

These girls performed a traditional Gujarati garba dance -- the dance of Navratri, which started on September 24th.
Teachers were something of a captive audience.
The family was properly "felicitated" by the school. An Indian "felicitation" is a formal welcome with flowers and a shawl.



After a number of short speeches and an exchange of gifts, David accepted a hand-made card on behalf of the Rollinson Family.
"A good time was had by all."
Thanks to all the Modern School faculty, staff, and students for a warm welcome.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures some refreshments for me cause i was a part of this school year ago. I still remember those moments with my friends and teachers i want to say thank you for doing a great work.I appreciate your work .

    I just want you to give regards to my teachers and tell them that i still miss them

    ReplyDelete