Wednesday, January 21, 2015

More Miscellany

Somethings are just too good. Here are five unrelated items from the last two days.

It's puppy season in Vapi. I've been watching these puppies grow up for about 3 weeks now. Last time I only saw three, and had feared that the others were "gone". But today, all six were sleeping on the street corner where they live.
I've been waiting to take this picture for months -- when I've seen a chicken delivery, I haven't had a camera within reach. Today I was prepared. Those are live chickens. They get hung by their legs from the digital scale (this is a high-tech chicken truck!) just before they get sold. How my thinking has changed: When I was in high school, we were "grossed out" by a storefront about a half block from the school that sold and butchered live chickens and rabbits. Now that is "farm-to-table" chic!

About a third of the upper school students were practicing marching for the upcoming Republic Day (26 Jan) program. A Sr Kg student, waiting to enter the school, practiced along with them.

This photo really doesn't work, but that thing hanging in the car is a baby hammock. It's suspended from the hooks above the doors and was swinging wildly as the car moved. Such hammocks are fairly common, although I hadn't seen one in a car before. Usually I've seen them hung between two trees while the mother worked construction. Some older homes also have hooks on posts for baby hammocks.
Early morning over GIDC Vapi. Pollution does give a nice warm glow to the sunshine. (GIDC is "Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation" and is the industrial area of Vapi.) Sometimes I think that the famed golden sunlight in India is merely a product of the ubiquitous smoky atmosphere.


No comments:

Post a Comment