Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Ants

As the summer heat builds (summer is the pre-monsoon months: March, April, and, especially, May), the mosquitoes go on hiatus, but the ants and roaches take center stage. I refuse to take photos of the roaches -- they like the damp areas (bathroom especially), but the ants are tiny, aggressive, and ubiquitous. They love carbohydrates -- especially wheat flour and sugar. They can even get into screw-cap containers, so I have to keep everything in Tupperware or the refrigerator to keep ants out.

A trail of ants across the kitchen wall.
I generally buy cookies that are individually wrapped. Once a package is open, the cookies go soggy in minutes. Here I took a cookie out of its box, and the ants poured out of the wrapper. Even though the cookie was sealed, the ants bored small holes in the package and started enjoying the carbs! One recent box of six cookies had two totally consumed cookies -- two empty cookie wraps.
A group of ants tackle a small almond chip on our kitchen floor. These are tiny ants at most 1 or 2 mm long.

One morning last week, I opened up my laptop and found it swarming with ants -- I think they wanted to use it as a "nursery", since there wasn't any food in there! Fortunately, once I started using the computer, they vacated the premises. (And probably started looking for food.)

I'm really tired of dealing with the ants.


No comments:

Post a Comment